The HighRiser program is designed to give University of Maryland students an opportunity to make an impact on the lives of future Terps! Involvement in this program allows students to influence the college choice process of their guests.
Other opportunities include:
- Networking with professional staff
- Participating in a leadership development series
- Attending social events with other HighRisers
- Gaining transferable skills to include on your resume
- Becoming a HighRiser is the perfect way to share what you love about the University of Maryland!
- To provide a safe environment for the guests
- To answer as many questions as possible that the guest may have
- To be courteous and attentive to the guest
- To showcase all that Maryland has to offer
- To offer your personal opinion of the University to the student so that they can make an informed decision about whether Maryland is the right school for them.
Please arrive on time to pick up your guest from the Cambridge Community Center. Women are asked to check-in by 6:00 p.m. and men are asked to check-in by 7:30 p.m.
After your guest arrives, you will have time to get dinner on campus. Later in the evening, you can attend the HighRiser event (planned by the Council) or continue to show your guest all of your favorite things about campus.
Please Note: Requests for changes to assigned pairings of hosts/guests will not be granted on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, race, religion, or other protected classes.
HighRisers Open House
Join us for our HighRiser Open House to learn all the details. We will have an introduction of this year's HighRiser Council, share information about being a HighRiser, provide an overview of the Overnight Stay Program, and give you an opportunity to register to be a host if you have not done so already.
The Open House program will take place on Wednesday, February 15 at 7:30pm in 1205 Cambridge Community Center.
There will be a HighRiser (Host) Training* opportunity this spring. You must attend the training prior to your first registered hosting date.
- Wednesday, February 22
Cambridge Community Center, Room 1205
We will have an introduction of this year's HighRiser Council, share information about being a High Riser, provide an overview of the Overnight Stay Program, and give you an opportunity to register to be a host if you have not done so already.
* Attendance at a training session is mandatory for all new and returning hosts prior to hosting at an OSP. If you cannot attend, please contact us so that we can schedule a training that fits into your schedule.
On the night of the Overnight Stay Program, all hosts will receive a FREE HighRisers t-shirt and be entered into raffles to win MD swag (the more you host, the better your chance of winning).
To register, please follow these 3 simple steps:
Complete the online application to be a host
Call to confirm your registration
Attend a HighRiser Training Session*
* If you are unable to attend training, please contact the Student and Community Development Programs office ASAP to schedule an individual session or drop by the office after February 22 at 1111 Annapolis Hall Monday through Friday anytime from 8:30am - 5:00pm. All NEW hosts will receive their HighRiser t-shirt after their training session.