It is natural to want to bring all of your prized possessions with you as you settle into your new space but remember to pack light and only bring the essential items you need. Storage will be your closet space and under your bed.
Remember to talk with your roommate in advance of arriving to plan and coordinate possible shared things.
- Comforter, blanket, pillows, pillowcases
- Twin-size sheets and Mattress cover (36" x 75" x 6" mattress)
- Mattress pad
- Under-the-bed storage boxes (10" clearance)
- Bed risers
- Soap, Toiletries, Toothbrush, Toothpaste
- Towels, Washcloths
- Shower tote bucket / or hanging shower tote
- Shower shoes
- Laundry bag
- Detergent / Softener
- Wrinkle Releaser
- Drying rack
- Clothes Hangers
Decorating Your Room
- Refrigerator (3.6 cubic foot maximum, ENERGY STAR Certified)
- Alarm clock
- Smart television
- Carpet or area rug (recommended size is 6’x9’)
- Full length mirror
- Desk/Floor Lamp
- 2 Waste Bins
- One for trash (with liners)
- One for recycling
- Handheld vacuum
- Flashlight, Battery-powered radio, Extra batteries, Emergency Kit
- First Aid Kit
- Touch-tone phone with standard plug, line cord (voicemail is provided)
- Cleaning Supplies (preferably “Green”)
- Alcohol Wipes
- Command strips
- Blue Painter's Tape
- Lock for laptop
- Non-damaging wall fasteners for hanging items (blue painter's tape and poster putty recommended)
- Tapestries, flags, posters
- Succulent plants
- UL/CSA approved power outlet strip with integrated circuit breaker (consider “smart power strip” to save energy)
- Laptop and Category 5 ethernet cable, no longer than 14 feet
- Lock for laptop
- Backpack (consider waterproof options)
- Notebooks / pens / pencils
- Desk Organizer
- Desk Lamp (consider CFL or LED bulbs; no halogen bulbs, no lamps with gooseneck arms and plastic shades)
- Dry Erase board
Move-In Supplies Needed
- Reusable Water Bottle
- Reusable Mug/Cup, Straw, Plate, Fork, and Spoon
- Reusable Shopping bag(s)
- Rain Coat / Umbrella
- Packing bags / bins
- Patience, Positive Energy, Great Attitudes
- QAM-Ready television and 15- to 20-foot cable (HD digital service in residence halls).
- Small Appliances (UL/CSA Approved, ENERGY STAR Certified models preferred).
- Small Refrigerator (3.6 cubic foot maximum, ENERGY STAR Certified).
- Air cleaner or air ionizer with UL Seal.
- Keurig hot drink dispensers (consider purchasing a reusable K-cup filter).
- Window Fan and Room fans.
- Touch-tone phone with standard plug, line cord (voicemail is provided).
- Carpet remnant or rug (the recommended size
- Curtain (if desired, Windows have installed blinds)
- Cleaning Supplies (preferably “Green”).
- 2 Waste Bins.
- One for trash (with liners).
- One for recycling.
- Memo/Dry erase board for your room door.
Extension Cords of any type.
Boxes, trunks, suitcases, etc., except what fits under your portion of bed (10" clearance) or closet.
Clothing that must be hung in the closet and that exceeds 2'-3' width.
Excessive or bulky winter clothing and gear (keep in mind that you have limited closet space and some time before you will need those items.).
Extra seating or other furniture.
Excessive amounts of clothing, books, posters, personal effects, etc.
Ashtrays (smoking is not permitted inside any campus building or anywhere on campus).
Lamps with gooseneck arms and plastic shades.
Disposable water bottles.
Air-fryers (unless assigned to an apartment that have a kitchen and areas set up for cooking)
Bed Risers with outlets.
Extra Tall Bed Risers.
Alcoholic beverages (if under age 21).
Illegal drugs (grounds for dismissal), drug paraphernalia.
Candles (lighted), incense, fireworks, weapons.
Electric skillets, Hot Plate, any appliance with open or exposed heating element or coil.
Toaster, toaster oven, skillet, crock pot, etc.
Private air conditioner, space heater.
Masking or cellophane tape, nails, other products that damage paint/wall surfaces.
Partitions, room dividers, and other structures.
Microwaves (permitted only in select residence halls).
Please Note - Important Instructions for Decorating your Room
The Department of Residential Facilities recognizes that residents may want to decorate their rooms with posters or pictures. We recommend that residents hang posters or pictures using "blue painter's tape" which is readily available at home improvement stores. Removable poster "putty" is another option.
Despite advertising, products sold as "removable" poster hooks, mounting tape, strips, squares or dots have been found to stain the paint or cause damage to surfaces in the residence halls when they are removed. If you select to use these or similar products, we recommend first applying the blue painter's tape to the wall and then adhering the removable hook or fastener over the tape to protect the wall and paint surface from damage. NEVER use masking tape, duct tape, or decorative vinyl wall and floor stickers as these leave residue and damage the wall surface. If you choose to do so, you will be responsible for any and all damage to the paint and/or wall.