Housing Availability
New Transfer Students
I've heard it's nearly impossible for me to get into Maryland's housing. Is that true?

Undergraduate students transferring to the University of Maryland from other colleges and universities are welcome to request residence hall housing, and you should do so as soon as possible after being notified of your acceptance by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Priority for this housing is given to full-time students (12 hours or more per semester).

However, you should understand that residence hall space is severely limited for transfer students because priority is given to first-time freshman students and students in the residence halls who want to return for another year. As housing requests are received from New Transfer students, these students' names are added to a waiting list for housing. Beginning shortly after May 15, once the size of each fall's freshman class in housing is established and once the number of returning students in residence halls is known, Resident Life provides periodic updates on the status of students' residence hall requests. Updates are posted at this web site and sent to your University of Maryland e-mail address. As residence hall assignments become available, starting in the mid to late summer for fall semester (January for spring semester) and through the early weeks of each semester, some students are moved off the waiting list and assigned a room and roommate(s). This process is repeated for spring semesters, when students enrolling as New Freshmen for spring have the highest priority for available residence hall space and take most, if not all, such spaces. For more information, please review our Housing Commitments policy.

What other housing options are close to the University of Maryland campus?

New Transfer students who request residence hall housing or who want to live near the campus should immediately explore other housing options using the resources offered by the University's Off-Campus Housing Services.

What legal obligations do students accept by asking for residence hall housing?

The University's housing and meals agreement is legally binding upon its receipt by the Department of Resident Life. No returning residence hall student should submit the housing and meals agreement without being prepared to accept and pay for housing and meal services or without having read its terms and conditions. Submitting the housing and meals agreement does not guarantee that a residence hall assignment can be made by the start of classes in any given semester.