The Room Exchange is the Department of Resident Life's mid-semester reassignment process. The Room Exchange takes place online, in real-time. In the Room Exchange, students have the option to select from individual vacancies, to offer their space to swap with another resident, or to move with a friend into a space with two vacancies. The Room Exchange also allows for students to name a pull-in when a vacancy occurs in their room or unit.
This semester, the Room Exchange will take place from January 31 through February 23.
The same actions occur Tuesday through Sunday, each successive week during this period. The Room Exchange Options that residents have are outlined below.
- When a vacancy occurs in a room, the current occupant of that room will receive an email at 9:00am on Tuesday morning instructing them how to name a pull-in.
- The email notification will have a link directing students to the Pull-in page.
- The current occupant has until 11:00pm on Thursday to name a pull-in through the Pull-in page of the Room Exchange. The invited pull-in must also accept the pull-in invitation by 11:00pm on Thursday.
- Individual residents will be able to browse the current list of vacancies.
- When a resident sees a vacancy he or she is interested in, the resident can place a 30-minute hold on that vacancy, while he or she continues to browse.
- Once a resident finds a vacancy that he or she wants to be reassigned to, he or she can accept that vacancy.
- Access to the Room Exchange will be available from 9:00am to 11:00pm on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday to browse for individual vacancies.
- Two residents who want to browse the current list of vacancies as a roommate pair can form groups of two.
- One resident will be the Group Leader who is responsible for inviting the other Group Member, and for making their choices.
- When the Group Leader sees a pair vacancy that they are interested in, the Group Leader can place a 30-minute hold on that pair vacancy, while they continue to browse.
- Once the Group Leader finds a pair vacancy that they want to be reassigned to, the Group Leader can accept that pair vacancy on behalf of the group.
- Access to the Room Exchange will be available from 9:00am to 11:00pm on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday to browse for pair vacancies.
- Individual residents can request a swap with other residents who are also interested in swapping.
- Residents can request to swap for up to three different spaces at the same time.
- Residents who opt in to the Room Swap will see room information only; no individual student information will be supplied during the process.
- Access to the Room Exchange will be available from 9:00am to 11:00pm on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday to browse room swap options.
Resident Life staff must approve all Room Exchange requests before residents will be able to move to a newly selected space.
Pull-in requests that are received by 11:00pm on Thursdays generally will be approved by 12 noon on Friday. Email notifications will be sent to all students involved in the pull-in request with further instructions.
Reassignment requests for Vacancies (as individuals or pairs) and for Room Swaps that are received by 11:00pm on Thursdays generally will be approved by 12 noon on Friday. Email notifications will be sent to all students involved in the reassignment with further instructions.
Resident Life reserves the right to override a pull-in request, a reassignment request, or a room swap request if any situation necessitates it.
Moving to Your New Assignment
Residents whose Room Exchange requests are approved for reassignment (as a pull-in, an individual reassignment, a pair reassignment, or a room swap) can begin moving no earlier than 8:00am on the Saturday following their approval. All moves must be completed by 6:00pm on the Sunday following their approval.
All moving instructions will be relayed via email after the Room Exchange request has been approved by Resident Life staff.
Residents may cancel their Room Exchange request at any time in the process. If the cancellation occurs before an approval has been granted, the resident can reenter the Room Exchange immediately. If the cancellation occurs after an approval has been granted, the resident will be delayed until the following week to reenter the Room Exchange.
If a resident is part of a roommate pair or is taking part in a room swap, an individual's cancellation will cancel the request for both students involved. Both students will have to reenter the Room Exchange to continue participation.
Please monitor the email address that is officially on file with the University. Throughout the Room Exchange, email notifications will be sent when residents make any changes to their Room Exchange status. For example, when a Group Leader invites a resident to be a part of a roommate pair, an email notification will be sent to the invited resident with instructions about what to do next. To ensure residents do not miss important information about their Room Exchange status, it is important that residents continue to monitor their emails throughout the process.
Priority Numbers and Single Rooms
Because of the real-time environment of the Room Exchange, priority numbers are not taken into account when students are browsing for and selecting a new space. Additionally, vacant single rooms are not part of the Room Exchange. Vacant single rooms will continue to be assigned by Resident Life staff based on the priority number system. Residents currently living in a single room may offer their room through the Room Swap.