Housing Availability
Graduate Students
Is there housing for graduate students in Maryland's residence halls?

Priority for residence hall housing is given to full-time undergraduate students. Graduate students at the University of Maryland can request residence hall housing. However, there are no facilities within the residence hall system exclusively for graduate students or for spouses, partners or family members of students.

What other housing options are close to the University of Maryland campus?

There are two all-graduate student apartment communities on University property. The Graduate Gardens and Graduate Hills communities are owned by the University of Maryland and managed on the University's behalf by a property management company. A separate application and leasing process applies for these apartment communities.

Information about additional housing options in nearby communities is available from the University's Off-Campus Housing Services and Graduate Student Life staff members. To search for housing options, please start by visiting Off-Campus Housing Services, where an online database can be used to match housing criteria you select (such as type of housing and price range) to currently listed/available rental housing in College Park and surrounding communities.

Availability of residence hall space is very limited for graduate students. All requests are initially placed on a waiting list. If space becomes available, graduate students are moved off the waiting list and assigned a room and roommate. Periodic updates on the status of your housing request are posted at this web site and sent to your University of Maryland e-mail address.

What legal obligations do students accept by asking for residence hall housing?

The University's housing and meals agreement is legally binding upon its receipt by the Department of Resident Life. No returning residence hall student should submit the housing and meals agreement without being prepared to accept and pay for housing and meal services or without having read its terms and conditions. Submitting the housing and meals agreement does not guarantee that a residence hall assignment can be made by the start of classes in any given semester.