South Campus Commons
South Campus Commons and the Courtyards were the first campus housing to offer a mixed gender living option to students. Both communities have a number of designated 4 bedroom 2 bath Mixed Gender units that interested students can apply to live in for 2017-2018 leasing year.
Who is eligible?
Priority for selecting spaces among new Mixed Gender applicant groups will first go to current South Campus Commons and Courtyards residents who are eligible to renew their leases, followed by students currently living in on-campus residence halls who will enter their third year in college in the upcoming Fall semester (“rising juniors”). Students who are not in one of those 2 groups are not eligible to be a part of a Mixed Gender applicant group.
Please note that completing an application for the Mixed Gender option in SCC/CTY does not guarantee a space in a mixed gender unit. The likelihood of your applicant group obtaining a mixed gender units depends upon 1) the number of current residents of Mixed Gender apartment residents who will renew their leases for the 2017-2018 lease year and 2) the number of new eligible groups who apply for mixed gender units in SCC/CTY.
Please make sure to complete the SCC/CTY lease application on MyDRL by February 8th at 3:59pm.
How can I learn more about this Housing Option?
Students are welcome (but not required) to attend Mixed Gender Information Sessions for South Campus Commons and the Courtyards.
|Wednesday, January 25||7:30pm||Oakland Hall Multipurpose Room|
How do you apply?
New applicant groups to the Mixed Gender Apartment Option in Commons and Courtyards must apply as a group of 4 eligible students (all Mixed Gender units are 4 bedroom units). Students interested in applying to the program must submit an application by the January 29th, 2017 application deadline. Each person in the group must submit an individual application.
Residents who apply to participate should understand and be prepared to meet the following expectations:
- All 4 group applicants must complete the 2017-2018 Commons/Courtyards leasing application by the February 8th 2017 deadline
- All 4 group applicants must submit a Mixed Gender Apartment Living application by January 27th
- Attend a mandatory pre-leasing meeting on February 3rd, 2017 at 7PM (if approved)
- Attend the Mixed Gender Apartment Leasing Night on March 5th, 2017
Before you decide if this housing option might be a good option for you, ask yourself the following questions and discuss with your parents/family:
- Do I want to live in an apartment with students of different genders?
- Are my parents/lease guarantor aware and supportive of my interest in living in an apartment with students of different genders
- Can I make the commitment now to remain in the apartment for the entirety of the 2017-2018 leasing period (all apartments are 11.5 month leases)?
- If a vacancy were to occur in the apartment during the year, would I feel comfortable living with someone of a different gender whom I did not know?*
If you answered “no” to any of the questions above, this housing option may not be the best for you.
*Although students will apply for this housing option with the expectation of remaining in the apartment for the entire leasing year, unexpected situations may arise which may cause a vacancy to occur. Although leasing staff will work with apartment-mates to find an eligible pull-in when possible, SCC/CTY management reserves the right to assign a new occupant of any gender to vacancies that occur within these apartment units.
If I apply for the Mixed Gender and do not get into a Mixed Gender apartment, can I still try to lease a single gender unit?
Yes. Because all mixed gender applicants must also complete the general 17-18 Leasing application, they will be eligible to participate in Open Leasing for single gender spaces if they do not sign a lease for a mixed gender space. The Mixed Gender Apartment Leasing process will take place on March 6th, 2016, so applicants will know if their group has secured a Mixed Gender apartment well before the Open Leasing appointments for single gender units occur March 21st-24th